Thursday, July 17, 2008

Where there is smoke...

There is fire. There is also a community supporting it's firefighters!On my way to Carmel Valley Village today to drop my darling child off with my outlaw's for the afternoon I saw, for the first time this month, a clear enough sky over the valley to be able to SEE the smoke. We have been under a haze of smoke for so long that smoke just didn't stand out much. Today the winds were blowing just so.
I also noticed all of the signs for the people working the blaze.There were more signs than these, but I was without child for a rare afternoon so the time was ticking! haha






































Hotshots are jumpers that are dropped in the middle of the fire to try to do as much as possible in places that would be otherwise out of reach. Very risky job.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, those signs are fantastic. We too have just started to see blue skies now on a regular basis. These firefighters are incredible. On the 4th of July a small wildfire started just outside of town and they sent in (I kid you not), 18 engines, three planes, a helicopter and a bulldozer! They weren't kidding around. They got it out within hours.

S. Bean said...

Erin- Kudos to you for getting pics of these. One day our kids are gonna look back at this..it is news of what is happening locally and it is a big chunk of history in the makings. I am gonna have Savannah and Malia keep track of the Morse family blog as well.(smiley face) ;)

Shauna said...

I saw some of those pics in our paper recently...

It brought tears to my eyes to see how supportive communities can be!

Marlyn said...

Great pics Erin. We still have signs all over town from last year's "thankfulness" -- our firemen are our heroes.