Sunday, July 20, 2008

Today at the Farmer's Market

See it there? Way in the back? Where would my toddler rather be?
Riding the panther...
Which in a way leads me to this......... I'm not going to step foot in a grocery store for a month. I've been thinking, which is always a pleasantly dangerous thing or dangerously pleasant? ;) Why would I, while living within an area referred to as the SALAD BOWL OF THE WORLD, need to go to a grocery store? OK for tp, toothpaste, butter, cheese. OK-- but EVERY WEEK? I am surrounded by farm stands, by small tiendas (must have tortillas, a staple in our house), by small, local producers (including a fantastic micro-brewerey and countless wineries! hello!). So I'm challenging myself this month. I think it will be sometimes quite a challenge! It is a prelude to the month of NOTHING PURCHASED I have forming in my mind. I'm hoping to broaden my horizons and become much more of a localvore.

6 comments:

S. Bean said...

Love it Erin! Weekly?! You are right that is way too often (and hard)! I despise grocerey shopping.

Hey,I would be into going to get fruits and veggies with ya though. Kudos!

Angie said...

Great! We only go to a grocery about once a month and we don't live in a salad bowl... (well, we go alot more in the winter). Yeah, you can do that with your eyes closed. Wait, don't drive with your eyes closed!

Anonymous said...

I bet you can make it pretty easily. Wait, what about milk? Are you able to get local milk? That is one thing that we keep returning to the store every handful of days to get. That and meat, oh, and snackey stuff like almonds and crackers. Those are a must for me, the Queen Snacker!

Tamra said...

I'm jealous of your amazing garden and all the local farm stands.... you can always order TP and toothpaste on line so technically you aren't going to a grocery store LOL!

Erin said...

Well, I'm definately going to have to cut back on crackers and cheese this month! EEKS! Almonds I can get at the farmer's market, and I can get crispy breadsticks too...

I *used* to be able to get local organic raw milk, but bureaucracy forced the dairy out of our county. We don't go through a ton of milk really (esp if it isn't raw... the raw stuff we all tend to drink a bit). Nobody really drinks it in our house. We do, however, use LOTS of cream. Cream in eggs, cream sauces, cream cream creammmmmmmmmmmm (oops let me wipe that up haha).

Meat is another one... I can get local meat at a store that is ONLY meat... but it isn't organic. Humph. I do have a bunch of organic whole chickens (buy them on sale) in the freezer, so it will be good to use those up. I'm seeing quite a lot of pizza and quiche in our future (I have a TON of flour that I purchased in bulk not too long ago).

Erin said...

haha Tamra :)