Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Have vegetables?

And not sure what to do with them? I have an idea for you!

I harvested a gazillion turnips from the garden over the weekend. So many that I didn't want to command ALLLL that room in the freezer for them. So, being the industrious gal that I am I decided to make a savory custard for (I thought) a nice side dish. I boiled 5 or 6 big ones, then drained and trimmed them. Threw them in the blender and added a good dose of cream, a couple pats of butter, a tablespoon of flour, salt and pepper, and two eggs and blended it all up together for a few minutes. Then I poured the mixture into little ramekins and a couple of individual pie sized containers and put them in a large baking pan and filled it with hot water, being careful not to splash any into the mixture filled containers. Baked in the oven at 375 for about 45 minutes. Voila! Cyrus and Colven DEVOURED three of them. They became the main course! A little side salad made these a complete meal.

I was dreaming of all the different vegetables I could do this with... spinach, asparagus, cauliflower! and on and on with herbs, with spices! Anything we have too much of!
It was so delectable.

1 comment:

S. Bean said...

Looks yummy and interesting..